Dr. Clarence M. Slack, M.D. (1841 – January 28, 1923) was born in Hightstown and was a telegraph operator before going to medical school at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. He graduated in 1865 and opened his first practice in Dayton, New Jersey. He was the first physician in Dayton and his one-time home and office in the town, the Slack-Carroll House, is open to the public as a museum.
Dr. Slack was active in Hightstown Lodge #41 for several years, and served as Worshipful Master in 1874-75. In 1883 he opened a medical practice with his nephew on Livingston Avenue in New Brunswick. He later became the County Physician of Middlesex County, and served as county clerk and freeholder of South Brunswick.
During the Spanish-American War (1898), Dr. Slack served as a surgeon in the 3rd New Jersey Volunteer Infantry.
After retiring from his medical practice, Dr. Slack first moved to Belmar with his wife and in 1920 relocated to St. Petersburg, Florida.
(Return to the Past Masters page)