Sering Shangle (March 11, 1827 – November 1, 1899) was a prominent businessman and civic leader who moved to Hightstown in the 1850s. He founded the iron foundry and machine shops of Sering Shangle & Son (so renamed in 1871) on Academy Street in the 1850s. He was the mayor Hightstown for three terms in the 1860s, 1870s, and 1880s. Additionally, he was an elder and founding member of the local Presbyterian Church and was also a justice of the peace and commissioner of deeds.
His brief biography in the 1882 book Industries of New Jersey had this to say about him:
“Mr. Sering Shangle… is a practical machinist, a superior workman, and one of the most enterprising and energetic of business men.”
Sering Shangle’s son, John, became Worshipful Master of the lodge later in the 1870s. His grandson, Clifford LeRoy, sat in the East in 1913.
(Return to the Past Masters page)